Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Easter Reading

So we all chatter about what we're reading for Lent. What about Easter? Is there anything joyful, inspirational, informative that seems as if it would be good for the Easter season?

Naturally I wouldn't bring it up if I didn't have at least a couple of ideas. (Links go to my reviews.)
  • Conversing With God In The Easter Season by Stephen Binz. Binz brings his wonderful lectio divina guidance to the Easter readings for each Sunday of the season.

  • Jesus: A Pilgrimage by James Martin. Martin considers Christ's question to his disciples, "Who do you say that I am?" as we journey with him through the Holy Land.

  • In Conversation With God by Francis Fernandez. I've praised this series of daily devotionals before but the Lenten/Easter one may be the best of the group. I find it good for keeping Easter top of mind in daily life.

  • The Ultimate Self-Help Book: Dante's Divine Comedy by Rod Dreher. This is an article from the Wall Street Journal but it reminded me that I'd been interested in rereading Dante's masterpiece. I recall finding Purgatorio extremely uplifting. I like John Ciardi's translation, but this time through will be using another so I can compare them.
What else? Leave comments with Easter reading ideas. And please include fiction. None occurred to me, but that just means I'm missing something.

UPDATE
Melanie Bettinelli's comment made me recall this book:

4 comments:

  1. I'm reading a novel about the 12 Apostles: The Doves of Galilee by Vincent Iezzi. I've just started, but so far it's interesting. The first chapter is from the point of view of James the brother of John, one of the sons of Zebedee.

    I'm also continuing with my Lenten reading of Deus Caritas Est.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, thank you for that book mention ... it made me think of a different book, but one that is also about the apostles. Perfect Easter reading! And I'll look for the Iezzi book too...

      Delete
  2. Finished your book Happy Catholic toward the end of Lent. It was a good read. I hope to post something on my blog on it when I get some time. I'll link you when I do.

    I read Dante's Purgatorio this past summer and I used two different translations: the Robert Durling and the Anthony Esolen. I think both are better than the Ciardi, which I used many years ago. I've been posting my analysis on my blog, and have completed two of the four posts I intended to put out. The two are here, and hopefully two more to follow shortly.
    http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.com/search/label/Dante%20Alighieri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Manny! I look forward to reading the review. :-)

      I'll look for Durling, hadn't seen his name come up. I sampled the Esolen when I was taking my first big plunge (among others that our library had) and the Ciardi hit me best. This time, Esolen is one that I'll look at again as the main text, with Ciardi for contrast.

      Delete