Tuesday, April 26, 2011

These Books Just In

I'll be reading and reviewing these later but wanted to give y'all a heads-up as to my "to read" stack grows.
  • Healing Autism Naturally by Becky Cash.
    The title says it all. I am acquainted with author Becky Cash's husband through The Catholic Company so when he brought up this book I was interested in reading it. Especially as the more we talked, the more I could think of several people in my life who have varying degrees of autism. Or so I am told because I know nothing about autism really other than the little bits of information that "everybody knows." And I know how untrustworthy the "everybody knows" information can be. So I'm curious to learn more about this subject.
  • A Biblical Walk Through the Mass: Understanding What We Say and Do in the Liturgy by Edward Sri
    This book is intended to help introduce Catholics to the liturgical translations, as well as to the Mass in its entirety based on biblical roots of words and gestures. It looks fascinating and A Guide to the New Translation of the Mass, the booklet which Sri wrote in question and answer format to address liturgical changes was straight-forward and easy to understand.
  • Season to Taste: How I Lost My Sense of Smell and Found My Way by Molly Birnbaum
    This is the first book I have received as part of the Amazon Vine Program. A fascinating topic for anyone who is interested in cooking and food in general. Also, I have a long-time acquaintance who lost her sense of smell, but loves to cook. Hearing about her trials in getting her husband to smell food to see if it spoiled and suchlike made me realize how integral smell is to taste.

4 comments:

  1. I started in the Vine program about a month ago, and I'm truly loving it. I've reviewed one book so far, and a few other items. How do you like the program?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the book yesterday and it is my first from them. I joined the program about a month ago as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you're able, but it sounds like if you look at the newsletter right when it's posted, you can get some great items. Last week I jumped on as soon as it was posted and was able to score a Dell Streak 7 Tablet. I am very much looking forward to reviewing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I have got to read my newsletter the second it hits! Thanks for the tip. :-)

    ReplyDelete