Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Well Said: I believe in Purgatory.

I believe in Purgatory.

[...]

I assume that the process of purification will normally involve suffering. Partly from tradition; partly because most real good that has been done me in this life has involved it. But I don't think the suffering is the purpose of the purgation. I can well believe that people neither much worse nor much better than I will suffer less than I or more. . . . The treatment given will be the one required, whether it hurts little or much.
C. S. Lewis, Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer
Nothing gets the day off to a good start, I find, better than a little C.S. Lewis. He's so intensely practical and yet helps you keep your eyes on the path to Heaven.

3 comments:

  1. See also: *The Great Divorce*. I could read that one pretty much continuously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! I really love that one and the commentary on Hell, Purgatory and ... glimpsed though not seen ... Heaven. :-)

      Delete
  2. We are created to be in Heaven with God for ever... None must be lost in the way.
    How to go to Heaven without Purgatory?:

    ReplyDelete