|Eva from the Brautpforte (Rathaus Hamburg), Jacob Ungerer|
We don't know many details about Eve but she was a key player in the beginning of Genesis as Adam's wife and the person who had to deal face to face with Satan's temptation. As with Adam, I like the way that the Life Application Study Bible's profile on Eve makes the key lessons from her life stand out.
Strengths and accomplishments:
Weaknesses and mistakes:
- First wife and mother
- First female. As such she shared a special relationship with God, had co-responsibility with Adam over creation, and displayed certain characteristics of God
Lessons from her life:
- Allowed her contentment to be undermined by Satan
- Acted impulsively without talking either to God or to her mate
- Not only sinned but shared her sin with Adam
- When confronted, blamed others
- The female shares in the image of God
- The necessary ingredients for a strong marriage are commitment to each other, companionship with each other, complete oneness, absence of shame (2:24, 25)
- The basic human tendency to sin goes back to the beginning of the human race
- Where: Garden of Eden
- Occupation: Wife, helper, companion, co-manager of Eden
- Relatives: Husband - Adam, Sons - Cain, Abel, Seth, numerous other children.
The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." (Genesis 2:18)
Eve's story is told in Genesis 2:19-4:26. Her death is not mentioned in Scripture.