Monday, February 2, 2015

Well Said: Not Before God

There's a thing in The Dark is Rising, the Christmas one, which is definitely the best of them, where Will does magic in a church, and the vicar asks about the magic crosses and they say they're before Christ, and he says, "But not before God. ... In children's books with magic everything is always very black and white though not of course in Tolkien. But "not before God" made me think.
Jo Walton, Among Others
I came across The Dark is Rising before realizing it was part of a series, in fact the second in a series. I liked it so much that I then tried the first book which I didn't like as well. This quote and Jo Walton's use of it makes me want to reread it.

1 comment:

  1. Coincidentally, I just picked up The Dark is Rising from the library. I, too, thought it was the first in the series. Haven't started it yet, but am intrigued.

    ReplyDelete