Friday, May 11, 2012

Happy Birthday, Dear Rose

Far from home, in exotic L.A. (where I'd like to be myself), Rose is plying two unpaid internships while gathering work credit to hopefully propel her into the film industry.

That means that she and Zoe (our Boxer who has become Rose's Boxer) are far from home on her 22nd birthday. She has instructions to go to Porto's Bakery (which I spoke of in our L.A. Diary) and select a decadent cake.

Perhaps the Parisian? (Devil’s food chocolate cake, layered and decorated with chocolate whipped cream. Finished with chocolate shavings.)


Or the Strawberry Shortcake? (Yellow cake, soaked in a light French brandy syrup, with a layer of fresh strawberries/real whipped cream, and a layer of vanilla custard. Topped with real whipped cream and surrounded with puff pastry crumbs.)


Or even the Cappuccino Mousse Cake? (A layer of chocolate-fudge cake, a layer of chocolate mousse, a layer of white sponge cake, and a layer of cappuccino mousse. Finished with a clear glaze marbled with coffee extract.)


We can see that I am interested in providing Rose with a delicious cake. I'd rather have her here and be making a cake (if memory serves, she prefers a Chocolate Buttermilk Layer Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting). It wouldn't be as pretty, but I bet the company would make up for it. I've sent gifts (thank you Amazon!) and I can buy her cake, but I can't give her a hug.

So I miss Rose on her birthday but I hope it is a wonderful day for her. She will be celebrating with friends, one of whom shares a birthday with her.

Happy Birthday, Rose!

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmmmmm, Porto's! *HomerSimpsonDrooling* They're around the corner from my kids' apartment, and feature prominently in every family holiday. My vote is for the cappuccino mousse, but just about anything would do. At my grandson's baptism party, this total quakephobe completely missed a hefty tremor because she was distracted by the charms of a guava-cheese pastry. Happy Birthday, Rose!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne, does this mean when we visit Rose we could also meet you? That would make L.A. even MORE wonderful to me (if that were possible). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Parisian Cake is wonderful; we've brought it home many times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She chose the Chocolate Raspberry Cake, which I knew was a possibility ... she LOVES that flavor combination. :-)

    ReplyDelete