Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Snapshot: Walking to Work

My car has been in the shop for a few days, having some repairs done to a door after a slight accident.

Tom decided to walk to work at one point in the complicated process of getting three people to work, errands done, and so forth ... with two cars.

He liked it so well that he walked home again that evening.

We realized that we actually only live one mile from work. We'd never thought about walking because you've got to cross a six-lane highway (though, to be fair, it does have a stoplight so we can get across).

I began walking, too, though usually once a day, with Rose picking me up or dropping me off, depending on what other errands had to be run.

It is invigorating. It connects us to the weather, the topography, the world around us.

I imagine that we'll continue it on days when it isn't pouring rain or when the morning temperature isn't 90 by 9 a.m. (yes, it happens).

I also realized that I usually say my world is lived in a 5-mile radius, but that our church, work, the grocery store, library, bank, and Target are all within one mile or less.

No wonder I can duplicate that small town feeling inside of a big city like Dallas.

I like it that way.

And I'll probably be walking to many more of those places in the future.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds great Julie! Thats one of the things I love about the area around your house etc is how walkable it really can be! And I ditto your small town feel.... ran into a friend tonight at the grocery store :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! This is awesome. Small towns (even in big cities) are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When we were looking for a house, I specifically sought one where I could walk to almost everything. We are within a mile (if not blocks) of the library, church, a grocery store, Walgreen's, several restaurants, and our dentist. I love being able to walk. When there is not ice on the sidewalks, of course.

    ReplyDelete