Monday, October 24, 2011

Once Upon a Time ... On TV

We were so interested in the premise behind Once Upon a Time that we did something almost unprecedented (except for football or the world series) ... we watched it real time with commercials and all.

Because with The Amazing Race and The Good Wife being taped, I had no other options.

In case you missed the pilot, here's the Wikipedia synopsis to help out.
28-year-old bail bonds collector Emma Swan is shocked when Henry, the son she gave up for adoption ten years ago, turns up in desperate need of her help. Henry believes that Emma is Snow White and Prince Charming's missing daughter, who was sent away from the Enchanted Forest to be protected from the Evil Queen's curse. Emma refuses to believe a word of Henry's story but soon finds that his hometown of Storybrooke, Maine may be more than it seems. Because it's in Storybrooke that all of the classic fairytale characters are frozen in time with no memories of their former selves – including the Evil Queen, who is Storybrooke's mayor and Henry's adoptive mother Regina.
It had highs and lows (among the lowest ... Snow White in our world's hair ... this really is a horrible place!).

But overall we approved of the premise, the originality, and most of the execution. I liked the idea of the dual timeline and looking at what the fairy tale characters are doing in "real life."

We shall see ...

You can watch the pilot at the link, btw.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah I liked it too. The main lady looks like she's about to kick some butt. However there's this comic series called Fables that seems very similar...

    Tamahome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tamahome! What a nice surprise to find you here! :-)

    I know I can trust you to keep me up with the comic connections. Soooo ... it may be "inspired by" eh? Interesting. If so, I hope those comics are good 'uns!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a tad behind the times, but have just finished watching seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix. This kind of thing is not my cup of tea, but I really like this show. While very little is objectionable, it has plenty of solid Catholic morality. I am keeping my fingers crossed for seasons 3 and 4...

    ReplyDelete