Monday, March 28, 2011

Rest In Peace: Diana Wynne Jones

Thank you to the various people who, knowing of my new-found passion for Diana Wynne Jones' books, wrote to let me know that she died this weekend.

Neil Gaiman wrote a splendid and moving tribute to this author, who was also his literary godmother.
As an author she was astonishing. The most astonishing thing was the ease with which she'd do things (which may be the kind of thing that impresses other writers more than it does the public, who take it for granted that all writer are magicians.But those of us who write for a living know how hard it is to do what she did). The honest, often prickly characters, the inspired, often unlikely plots, the jaw-dropping resolutions.
Indeed, yes.

I also liked reading his description of visiting her in the hospital the day before she died.

Read it all here: Being Alive. Mostly about Diana.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear that, I really enjoyed some of her books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also a fairly new follower of hers. In fact, I just finished Howl's Moving Castle about a week or so ago. I know my girls will be saddened. I'll talk to the folks I know at Borders to see if they can put together a display. Thanks for posting.

    Patti :-)

    ReplyDelete