Friday, June 18, 2010

"When Catholics are Attacked All Christians Should React "

Scott Nehring, our token Protestant (his label, not mine, folks!) over at Catholic Media Review, has a clip on his blog, Good News Film Reviews explaining why he believes Christians of all denominations should stand with the Catholic Church when it is unfairly criticized or attacked by those in the entertainment industry.

There is a segment in his book titled “Attack on Catholics: Just Because I Don’t Follow You Doesn’t Mean I Won’t Back You Up” where he delivers the same message. Scott told me, "It ends w/ the line 'When filmmakers throw cinematic eggs at the Vatican, they are intended to splatter on us all.'"

We all remember Scott's book, right? The one I read the galley of and can't wait to get a copy of? You Are What You See: Watching Movies Through a Christian Lens

Luckily, Scott is kindly not going to make me break my book fast experiment* as I will be getting a review copy. As he emailed:
Literally, I am sending one to the Vatican, then one to the Texas Chainsaw.
You read that right. A copy of his book will be residing at the Vatican. So you know you'd better read it, just in case the Pope twitters about it.

And, yes, you read that right. He calls me the Texas Chainsaw. Perhaps because of our frequent sparring over movies, most notably Memento.

*No books bought since the New Year.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link and kind words, Ms. Chainsaw.

    PS: Nice new look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci beaucoup and you are very welcome. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, Chainsaw, I've been facebooking so much that I keep looking for the "like" button! Love the new look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read the book which I purchased and downloaded and quite enjoyed it. Some things I had noticed about story making and such he really goes into detail on with some good insights. Much more than just about book about Christians and movies - covers that well, but good stuff on the craft of story writing also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Julie--

    Book fast--now there's a thought. I haven't bought a full-priced book since the beginning of the year (well, maybe some mm paperbacks--but nothing trade). I know, you all with your half-price books, that's no real accomplishment, but let me tell, you--without a hpb, it's a major accomplishment here. But I wonder if I could manage to actually not buy any books. Before I start, I need to run out to amazon and get at least two--the "new" translation of Kristin Lavransdatter (I've worn out the Library's copy) and the Ignatius Study Bible. --But then perhaps I'll join you in solidarity. :-D

    shalom,

    Steven

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steven, it has been very freeing, actually. Of course, I am greatly aided by the fact that Dallas has a fully stocked library for most needs. I also did a last run-through before I began ... between Christmas and New Year's Day. Kind of like that last piece of chocolate cake before beginning a diet. :-D

    The one exception, which I have not yet had to resort to, is that books needed for writing bulletin inserts or other "professional needs" (as my husband very kindly puts it) are allowed. Thus far, however, those needs have also been provided by the library.

    ReplyDelete