Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Photo of the Week (Maybe of the Month)

RESCUE AND PROTECT: Staff Sgt. Edward Rosa reads the Bible and extends a cigarette to Pfc. Jorge Rostra Obando, who was stunned by an explosion in Afghanistan’s Arghanab Valley. One comrade was killed and two injured in the blast. Pfc. Rostran asked the sergeant to read Psalm 91, a favorite from his childhood. (Ricardo Garcia Vilanova for The Wall Street Journal)

What a surprise and a pleasure it was to see this photo in the middle of the front page of our Wall Street Journal this morning. Two comrades and faith under fire. Inspiring and a good reminder to keep our soldiers in our prayers.
Psalms
Chapter 91
You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,

Say to the LORD, "My refuge and fortress, my God in whom I trust."

God will rescue you from the fowler's snare, from the destroying plague,

Will shelter you with pinions, spread wings that you may take refuge; God's faithfulness is a protecting shield.

You shall not fear the terror of the night nor the arrow that flies by day,

Nor the pestilence that roams in darkness, nor the plague that ravages at noon.

Though a thousand fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, near you it shall not come.

You need simply watch; the punishment of the wicked you will see.

You have the LORD for your refuge; you have made the Most High your stronghold.

No evil shall befall you, no affliction come near your tent.

For God commands the angels to guard you in all your ways.

With their hands they shall support you, lest you strike your foot against a stone.

You shall tread upon the asp and the viper, trample the lion and the dragon.

Whoever clings to me I will deliver; whoever knows my name I will set on high.

All who call upon me I will answer; I will be with them in distress; I will deliver them and give them honor.

With length of days I will satisfy them and show them my saving power.

5 comments:

  1. I want to thank you for posting that picture. I, too, take a great deal of pride, inspiration and pleasure in images that show Faith in action.

    I collect images such as this. I have several from WW2 of Marine Chaplains giving Holy Communion during a lull on combat. I have one of a Navy Chaplain performing last rites over shrouded corpses on a aircraft carrier deck. So, I can add the one you provided to my collection.

    Secondly, the second verse of the Psalm you quoted is one I say through out the day. I can vouch for it's effectiveness for me. Finally, this Psalm also puts me in mind of the response from todays Mass Respsonsorial Psalm 16.
    "Keep me safe, O God; you are my hope."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tante Leonie6/9/10, 3:10 PM

    This is my favorite Compline Psalm.

    Do read it in the King James Version; it is majestic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this picture and the psalm is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember that in the Persian Gulf War this was a favorite Psalm of our soldiers. It's easy to see why. Some people made a point of the fact that it was Psalm 91 in year '91 ... make of that what you will!

    - rosmerta

    ReplyDelete