Monday, June 7, 2010

I've Been Listening to The Rookie ... and I Miss Football

THE ROOKIE is set amongst a lethal pro football league 700 years in the future. Aliens play positions based on physiology, creating receivers that jump 25 feet into the air, linemen that bench-press 1,200 pounds, and linebackers that -- literally -- want to eat you. Organized crime runs every franchise, games are fixed and rival players are assassinated.

Follow the story of Quentin Barnes, a 19-year-old quarterback prodigy that has been raised all his life to hate, and kill, those aliens. Quentin must deal with his racism and learn to lead, or he'll wind up just another stat in the column marked "killed on the field."
I was listening to Luke Burrage's excellent review of The Rookie audiobook when I realized I had set it aside about halfway through in order to listen to something else (can't remember why) and forgotten to go back to it. I'm finishing up the last few chapters now. but as always Sigler writes completely entertainingly. Not a deep story but more of a coming of age story in space. The alien races created are very creative, as are the adaptations of the football rules to accommodate their participation.

Warning: when he says with glee "lots and LOTS of violence" he means it.

8 comments:

  1. Whaddaya mean by "in the future?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. ?

    I don't understand. You mean in the story description? Because when they say "lethal" they mean that it is an unusual week that doesn't have a body count as a regular part of the sports wrap up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He also released the first chapter of The Starter earlier this year. Scott Sigler is kind of the P.T. Barnum of of podcasted books - what a natural promoter he is and quite a talented story teller.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely ... I think I remember hearing that and now am going to look for it. Thank you for that reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very interesting concept indeed. I've never heard of this book before, but being the big football fan I that I am I'm now intrigued. I want to get my hands on this book. Julie, who's your football team by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  6. America's team! So I particularly enjoyed when the Earth Texans showed up in this book with their blue, white, and silver uniforms. Of course, the Cowboys would have made it to 700 years in the future! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fair enough the Cowboys are a great team. I'm a Jets fan so I was just hoping you weren't one of those Tom Brady loving Patriots fans!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're safe on that one!

    ReplyDelete