Monday, February 2, 2009

Don't know much about polyphony ...

... but I do dearly love chant. It takes my spirit to an adoration chapel that my friends and I know well where there is always chant playing in the background. And it takes me to Good Friday at our church where for the last two years the Gospel has been chanted.

Thanks to the Norbertine Fathers from St. Michael's Abbey I venture to say that we were probably one of the very few ... if not the only household in the DFW Metroplex on Friday night to have these glorious sounds swirling through our house. The CD came in the mail and when we got home from Tom's excursion to the emergency room I popped it into the CD player to for an initial listen.
The eclectic selection on this album is a cross-section of music sung at the abbey that includes chants from the liturgy as well as motets and music from the Renaissance era. These latter are sung on more solemn occasions like Easter, Pentecost, Christmas, and other great feasts of the liturgical year. "Anthology: Chants and Polyphony from St. Michael's Abbey" is a testimony of the vigor and subtle beauty of Gregorian chant as sung today in the USA.
Simply beautiful ... and inspirational ... and peaceful. Also, I appreciate the Latin because I can't pick out words and it leaves my mind free for prayer while helping pull back that veil that separates me from God.

I now know that polyphony could be described as some of the most glorious harmony ever. I also can see why the retired abbot requested the initial Exultet recording that prompted them to begin recording in the first place. This is going to be the perfect music for my drive to work also, when I am finishing up the rosary begun on my morning prayer walk.

Highly recommended. In fact, so much so, that I am going to put Christmas at St. Michael's Abbey on my wish list.

Note: The release date is February 10 and Amazon has it on sale now. Do yourself a favor and order this if you want some inspirational music, especially with Lent beginning in a little less than a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment