Thursday, October 23, 2008

Question: Catholic Food Theology

Since you are a prolific writer on all things Catholic and Food, my wife and I figure you were the right person to ask for sources of Catholic teaching about food. Let me explain:

The Catechism doesn't tell us to what extent should we investigate and/or avoid eating animals that have been mistreated, and what constitutes mistreatment. By way of illustration, California is voting on a proposition this year that requires that calves raised for veal, egg-laying hens and pregnant pigs be confined only in ways that allow these animals to lie down, stand up, fully extend their limbs and turn around freely.

That SEEMS like a reasonable proposal. However, since we know that animals are God's creation but do not have souls, to what extent do we have to be concerned about the economic (making food more expensive for the poor, etc) and practical impact such a decision? Conversely, is this an issue of right and wrong, where such considerations are entirely beside the point? I'm sure you get the point. Do you have any links or ideas?
My immediate thoughts would be that the proposal is simply requiring humane treatment. As for the economic impact on the poor, it seems to me that what with legumes, nuts, and other relatively inexpensive sources of protein, that this is not something that needs to be a concern.

My purely human thought on it, religion aside, is that if we can't afford to treat our animals humanely then perhaps we need to rethink what we eat no matter what our economic status. People didn't used to have meat except during feasts. We can live without it and have done for many centuries until recently. Certainly we can use it more as a flavoring such as is found in much of Asian cooking.

Let me hasten to add that I, personally, am no vegetarian. In fact, I enjoy meat quite a bit, so much so that I struggle to include a couple of meatless meals each week for health as well as economic reasons. However, I am willing to eat less of it and pay a little more for what we do buy so that an animal may be able to stand, sit or lie in comfort. Those requirements are not unreasonable for any living creature. I find it very sad that there is a necessity for that bill at all.

None of this comes from Catholic teachings and if anyone wants to chime in on that aspect, please feel free to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment