Friday, June 12, 2020

A Movie You Might Have Missed #11: Payback

It's been 10 years since I began this series highlighting movies I wished more people knew about. I'm rerunning it from the beginning because I still think these are movies you might have missed.

11. Payback

Porter knows his worth.

$70,000.

That is the amount that his erstwhile partner, who now works for the syndicate, stole after double crossing and leaving him for dead. And that is the amount Porter wants back. No more, no less. He will do whatever it takes to get it.

So begins the grittiest movie I have ever seen Mel Gibson in. Porter is the anti-heroes' "hero" so to speak, a guy who has only one goal and only one redeeming quality, which is his love for Rosie, the requisite hooker with a heart of gold. I suppose he actually could have two redeeming qualities, the second being his stubborn determination to take only the money that was stolen from him. (My full review here.)

3 comments:

  1. Anyone who watches the execution scene in BRAVEHEART without tears of laughter streaming down his cheeks has no soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never saw Braveheart. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patrick McGoohan of happy memory steals every scene he's in.

    ReplyDelete