Monday, May 31, 2010

Super Fast Books and Movies List from the Weekend

We are having such a blast with Hannah and Rose home and Kirsten here too. It is like Christmas in the middle of the year. Consequently there has been tons of movie and book talk.

Books
For some reason, fiction is on my radar right now. Meaning novels, not sf or mystery genre stuff.
  1. Just finished reading The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Honestly, if I’d really known what it was about I’d never have been interested but once I was engrossed in it I was glad to have read this excellent book. Told by two different servants and one young woman who doesn’t fit into the Jackson, Mississippi society because she didn’t immediately get married and begin a family, this is a story of their unexpected collaboration on a secret project that results in all of them crossing lines that are not acknowledged aloud but which must be crossed in order to truly know themselves. I raced through the last fourth of it. Highly recommended. HIGHLY!
  2. Now am reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, which I suppose actually is genre fiction (sf maybe?). I have tried it before but either wasn’t in the right mood or was expecting something different. Hannah read it, loved it, shoved it on my nightstand, and has been nagging me about it (with that hopeful, wistful, little puppy look that a mom can’t say no to…). Began it this morning and don’t understand why I didn’t warm to it before … the writing is charmingly understated and amusing. It is about magic, English practitioners of magic, books about magic, and set in England during the Napoleonic war. Only on chapter 3, but jolly good writing so far.
  3. Also began The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society because it looked light and easy AND because everyone else said it was wonderful. A series of letters between various people about reading and food in post-WWII England. That's all I know so far as I have only read about 6 letters and am just getting everyone sorted out. So far, so good. More later, I'm sure.

Movies
Remember I said "super fast!"
  1. Sherlock Holmes (Robert Downey Jr.): not all that it could have been but great fun nonetheless (grade: B).
  2. Jennifer’s Body: warning, warning … horrible. Do not watch. (Insider info tells me that the script was a comedy but the studio got scared and cut most of the funny scenes to turn it into a horror movie. It shows. aaargh). Grade: F
  3. Zombieland: finally I have found a suitable alternative for Shaun of the Dead. A true delight AND a movie that celebrates family (still chock-full of flesh-eating zombies). Hilarious though. Rule #4: watch this movie. Grade: A+. (The plus may seem extreme but Tom says that is because I had to compare it to Jennifer's Body, besides which practically anything would get a plus.)

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved "The Help" .... captured the South so beautifully .... the good and the bad!

    Try "The School of Essential Ingredients" .... I would call this a beach/bath read .... beautiful and frothy

    Also "Out Stealing Horses" .... beautiful and haunting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. newguy ... I deleted your comment to remove the spoiler. I was so delighted by it and also was so pleased that reviewers kept the secret, I didn't want to be the one who led to it being blown for someone. :-)

    Terri ... indeed, I concur. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely loved the health. But I never could finish Jonathan Strange - when I tried to read it I just wanted to smack everyone in the book, and then I felt like it just went on foreeeeeeever. And this is from someone who thinks the unabridged Count of Monte Cristo is the only way to go. Let us know what you think: maybe I'll give it another go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete