Thursday, December 14, 2023

Jesse Tree: Day 8 - Joseph

I last published these Jesse Tree posts in 2019. I want to revisit them this Advent so you're coming along for the ride!

The Jesse Tree helps us prepare for Christ's coming by studying His roots and Salvation History. 

Jesse Trees follow the same general outline but I've found they are widely varied in some of the details. Some may have one day for Moses, others may spend 4 days on different aspects of his life. I'll be following the basic outline but, therefore, using my own discretion in a few spots.


Day 8: Joseph

Symbols: bucket, well, silver coins, tunic

Joseph sold by his brothers. Anna Bilińska-Bohdanowicz (1857–1893)
via Wikipedia
We know a lot about Joseph's story. It is one of the most beloved of the Old Testament. We're invited to think about how much Joseph endured, beginning with his brothers selling him into slavery. Then, when he has the chance to claim revenge, instead he extends love and forgiveness. Not only that, but Joseph interprets how God has brought good out of evil. "And now do not be distressed, or angry with yourselves, because you sold me here; for God set me before you to preserve life."


Joseph Weeps
Illustration by Owen Jones, 1869, via Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment