Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Letter to Pope Francis from Catholic Women ... and also Catholic Men

We write to you, Holy Father, to pose questions that need answers.

We are Catholic women deeply committed to our faith and profoundly grateful for Church teachings, the Sacraments, and the many good bishops and priests who have blessed our lives.

Our hearts are broken, our faith tested, by the escalating crisis engulfing our beloved Church. We are angry, betrayed and disillusioned. The pain and suffering of the victims never ends, as each news cycle brings more horrific revelations of sexual abuse, sexual misconduct, cover-ups, and deceit—even at the Church’s highest levels. ...

Several crucial questions raised by Archbishop Viganò’s statement, however, require neither lengthy investigations nor physical evidence. They require only your direct response, Holy Father. When reporters questioned you recently about Archbishop Viganò’s charges, you replied, “I will not say a single word on this.” You told reporters to “read the statement carefully and make your own judgment.”

To your hurting flock, Pope Francis, your words are inadequate. They sting, reminiscent of the clericalism you so recently condemned. We need leadership, truth, and transparency. We, your flock, deserve your answers now. ...
This is an excellent letter which will be sent very soon to Pope Francis. Read the whole thing. It is eloquent, respectful, and expresses my feelings well so I signed it. I am one of over 35,000 Catholic women to do so.

A letter was written today from men who are standing alongside Catholic women. I was really touched, actually, seeing these men talk about being in love with Christ and his Church. You may read and sign it here.

I wrote my own letter last week (because of course I did) and mailed it off to Vatican City but have a feeling these letters will get more attention. Regardless, I have done what I can and now will fast and pray.

St. Catherine of Siena, pray for us and Pope Francis and the Church. Amen.

5 comments:

  1. I wrote my own letter but wasn’t satisfied with it. This is so much better! I had been praying for guidance and this came. I signed and shared it. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah it always warms my heart when someone invokes my beloved St. Catherine of Siena!

    It's a good letter, but the problem may be that Archbishop Viganò was right and then what? My hunch is that Pope Francis was not on top of the McCarrick issue and while he may have known something, he may not have had the full details. I pray that is the case. After all can he be on top of all the details that go on in the churches of every country in the world? I don't know. Perhaps it's best to let an old man (the Pope is 81) off the hook. He won't be pope for much longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long will we let people off the hook, regardless of age? I notice when O'Malley held Francis's feet to the fire on the Chilean bishops, he managed to have plenty of vigor in handling the situation. If he is too old to be on the hook, then we've got a completely different problem.

      Delete
    2. I meant also to say that if he didn't know, why didn't he say? All he has to do is say, "I don't know" and throw open the archives of the Vatican so that it may be investigated. Let the light in, so to speak. I'm not seeing that. I'm hearing "prove it" and from the Vatican spokespeople "no comment." I also hope there is an innocent explanation but why, after so much time, should we still be having to guess? Unfortunately what is beginning to come to mind is "stonewall."

      Delete