Thursday, October 12, 2017

Chronological Bible Reading - Update

But how shall I speak of the glories I have since discovered in the Bible? For years I have read it with an ever-broadening sense of joy and inspiration; and I love it as I love no other book. Still there is much in the Bible against which every instinct of my being rebels, so much that I regret the necessity which has compelled me to read it through from beginning to end.
Helen Keller
I'd never have thought this in my younger days, but Helen Keller's words resonate with me: "I love it as I love no other book." Reading the Bible daily — sometimes eagerly, sometimes grudgingly, but always reading it — has made me love it. The Word speaks to me through it and provides riches, consolation, inspiration, and surprise.

As I mentioned a while back, I have been reading the Bible in chronological order. This really has given me more of a sense of how God's relationship with his people has progressed, to how history has had a hand in bringing about our salvation.

And it has increased my love for this incomparable book. I'm not quite done but I'm within five books of the end — at which point I'll start over again.

I eventually came up with my own chronological list because the one I began with was set up to get you through in a year. (See post linked to above.) To that end and, as they explained, to alleviate possible boredom, they'd jiggered things a little. Things like moving Chronicles to way after Kings. This confused me no end, by the way, when I was reading along in their order and suddenly thought, "What is David doing this far into the timeline? He died long ago."

Boredom is not my problem as much as wanting to feel the flow of history. I loved the way their timeline placed prophets in the timeline so you could feel history and prophecy together. So I used their order as a timeline template and started putting the out-of-order elements back where they belonged. The result is below as a jpg that you can download or straight text that you can copy or print.

The Old Testament is in the order in which it happened (as nearly as one can ascertain). Job is the most problematic, probably, but once I saw some people placing it during the Genesis timeline it made the book fall into place for me better because of Job's relationship to God. (Knowing it is a fictional examination of Truth, and so forth.)

The New Testament is in the order in which it was written. That is because I was interested in seeing what order the Church experienced these things being written down and distributed. Kind of a "being there" experience because we know the oral stories were circulating from the beginning.

NOTE: The first time through I've been reading without notes or commentary. When I begin again I'll probably be supplementing my reading with a few of those.


OLD TESTAMENT
(Order in which happened)
  • Genesis
  • Job
  • Exodus
  • Leviticus
  • Numbers
  • Deuteronomy
  • Psalms
  • Joshua
  • Judges
  • Ruth
  • Song of Songs
  • Proverbs
  • Ecclesiastes
  • 1 Samuel
  • 2 Samuel
  • 1 Kings
  • 2 Kings: 1-17
  • 1 Chronicles
  • 2 Chronicles: 1-28
  • Amos
  • Jonah
  • Hosea
  • Micah
  • Isaiah: 1-39
  • Tobit
  • Nahum
  • Zephaniah
  • Habakkuk
  • Judith
  • 2 Kings: 18-25
  • 2 Chronicles: 29-36
  • Jeremiah
  • Lamentations
  • Baruch
  • Ezekiel
  • Obadiah
  • Daniel: 1-12 (minus prayer in 3:24–90)
  • Isaiah: 40-55
  • Joel
  • Ezra: 1-6
  • Haggai
  • Zechariah
  • Esther
  • Ezra: 7-10
  • Nehemiah
  • Isaiah: 56-66
  • Malachi
  • Daniel: 13
  • Sirach
  • Daniel: 14
  • Daniel: 3:24–90
  • 1 Maccabees
  • 2 Maccabees
  • Wisdom

NEW TESTAMENT
(Order in which written)
  • 1 Thessalonians
  • 2 Thessssalonians
  • Galatians
  • 1 Corinthians
  • 2 Corinthians
  • Romans
  • Mark
  • Philippians
  • Colossians
  • Philemon
  • Ephesians
  • Matthew
  • 1 Timothy
  • Titus
  • 2 Timothy
  • Luke
  • Acts
  • Hebrews
  • James
  • 1 Peter
  • 2 Peter
  • John
  • 1 John
  • 2 John
  • 3 John
  • Jude
  • Revelations

10 comments:

  1. Hope you like it! I also was using the one from Catholic Commentary on Sacred Scripture (made a note above so that's clearer). It was my base template. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, this is so great!! I'm going to try it!

    Cathy Barber, Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just printed the plan and I'm going to try it out. I like history so a plan in historical order interests me. Unknown to me the printer had scratch paper in it. The plan was printed on the backside of a flyer for a Christian kids camp I attended. Seems fitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice coincidence! I'll be curious to see how it works for you!

      Delete
  4. Also, I am sure you are familiar with reading "the story" first (as seen in the Great Adventure Bible Timeline) -- first getting to know the story, then going back and reading the other books in context

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natch! I've read a lot of the Bible that way over the years, as one does with any book that one loves (and I've got lots and lots of books that I love). :-)

      You may be interested in looking over some of the Bible studies done here over the years.

      Delete
  5. This list states the order in which the NEW TESTAMENT WAS WRITTEN. Is that necessarily the chronological order of when the events occurred? A book can be written about events well in the past or about current events, both written on the same date, but this doesn't give us the flow of chronology. That's what I would like to see - a happened, then b, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cindy Anne, as I said above, "The New Testament is in the order in which it was written. That is because I was interested in seeing what order the Church experienced these things being written down and distributed. Kind of a "being there" experience because we know the oral stories were circulating from the beginning."

    We all know that the Gospel stories happened first, however, the way they were written showed how the Church and people and authors experienced things. Mark (Peter's point of view) is very different from John which was many years later and which expects you to know the first three Gospels. You'll have to look elsewhere for what you are asking for - perhaps The Great Adventure Bible would be what you need. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was following this timeline, but then I was surprised to see the New Testament ordering, as current scholarship puts Paul's letters before (not amid) the 4 gospels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always questioning about dating but this was the best consensus I found at the time. Also keep in mind that I wanted to see how these ideas were distributed among the faithful as they came along, not about being a stickler. Anyway, here's how the dating went when I looked it up again. Is it perfect? No.

      1 Thessalonians (50 AD)
      2 Thessalonians (51 AD)
      Galatians (54-55 AD)
      1 Corinthians (56 AD)
      2 Corinthians (57 AD)
      Romans (56-58 AD)
      Mark (60 AD)
      Philippians (62 AD)
      Colossians (62 AD)
      Philemon (62 AD)
      Ephesians (62 AD)
      Matthew (50-70+ AD)
      1 Timothy (66 AD)
      Titus (66 AD)
      2 Timothy (67 AD)
      Luke (Before 70 AD)
      Acts (70 AD)
      Hebrews (70 AD)
      James (60 AD)
      1 Peter (60-65 AD)
      2 Peter (65-68 AD)
      John (90-100 AD)
      1 John (85-95 AD)
      2 John (85-95 AD)
      3 John (85-95 AD)
      Jude (uncertain)
      Revelations (90-95 AD)

      Delete