Thursday, May 23, 2013

Well, well, well, Forming Intentional Disciples ... we meet again.

Head's up for anyone interested in evangelism and discipleship - Our Sunday Visitor is offering Sherry Weddell's _Forming Intentional Disciples_ for $10, free shipping, from now until May 31st. This is an incredible discount on a very worthwhile book.

This is conjunction with CatholicMom.com's Lawn Chair Catechism book club.
Saw this notice on Facebook from Jen Fitz.

A feeling of doom ... or perhaps one might be more polite and say fate ... swept over me.

I have seen this book mentioned again and again by bloggers I trust implicitly. The most recent was Melanie Bettinelli at The Wine Dark Sea.

Go.

Read.

It may not hit you the way it did me, but my heart was wrung thinking of this:
Nearly a third of self-identified Catholics believe in an impersonal God.[. . .] only 48 percent of Catholics were absolutely certain that the God they believed in was a God with whom they could have a personal relationship.
That's a heart breaker.

Now, why do I feel I need to read this book? Is it my job to form intentional disciples?

I don't know. I really don't.

But I don't think it can hurt to understand that a lot of folks aren't coming from the same place that I am, one of knowing God is intensely personal.

Plus, I can push it on my pastor and various other Church leaders. Because pushing things is what I'm all about, as we all know.

So I haven't read it, but I am passing along the news about the great savings in case you're interested. I can always push a good sale.

6 comments:

  1. I'll cut right to the end of the book and answer your question: It is partly your job. You, Julie D., who have the gift of hospitality . . . you have a little part to play. Which I think you're already playing. So the book will mostly be very reassuring for you, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh, the gift of hospitality. You make me happy ...

      Delete
  2. I'll echo the wise Jen Fitz in thinking you're playing your part. The book speaks highly of programs like Christ Renews His Parish, which I've only ever heard of because of you. But I'll agree that you should read the book too because I think the more self-aware you are the better. I'm really attracted to her descriptions of how to address people at the various stages of the journey toward discipleship and her practical suggestions of how to initiate conversations. Anyway, I'm curious to get your take on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melanie, you flatter me (and so does Jen).

      You intrigue me with the idea of practical conversation with people at different stages of discipleship. This is the very conversation our deacon and I had yesterday after I sent him the info and link to your blog. It was that question of how to foster discipleship. CRHP ain't a gonna reach everyone. And some of us fall away. You know how that is.

      Delete
  3. Don't read the book. In fact, you should probably take this post down. Last summer, I was just minding my own business, working out my salvation in fear and trembling from the comfort of my own home; then I read the book and blogged about it. Next thing I know I'm getting up early every Sunday to help with RCIA, I'm signed up to Facebook groups discussing the New Evangelization, I'm getting letters from my pastor telling me and 69 other "leaders of our community" it's time to use the grace of our baptismal calling to reach out to others. None of this did I ask for or want, and none of it did I have any grounds to refuse.

    FID is dangerous stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am already in a similar situation, including a ministry that I dreamed up on my own (who am I fooling, the Holy Spirit nudged me into it). So perhaps I can just lead others astray! It's less lonely that way! :-D

      Delete