Can you suggest a couple of book titles for my 13-year-old granddaughter? They must be audiobooks as she is dyslexic and mostly listens to books on tape.Now I had a few thoughts, but they were very few, so I also turned to a couple of readers I trust.
I thought, perhaps, you might have some thoughts about good, wholesome books for early Teen girls; I fear that my granddaughter, who will be 13 this month, is already into those Twilight books (on tape) and somehow I don't think they're terribly appropriate, based on what I've heard and read! I always prefer the classics, myself, and if you have any particular audio versions that you like, I would love to hear about that.
Sarah Reinhard says:
- Regina Doman books -- ALL of them (I once called her books the "answer" to the Twilight books)
- The Eragon books (four in the series, I just read the last ones...I've heard less-than-glowing reviews, but I liked them)
- Book I haven't had a chance to review loudly yet (but will start next week at CatholicMom.com) - The Dragon's Tooth
- Michelle Buckman has a YA series of two books which are GREAT w/ Catholic worldview but no PREACHY (and really, you couldn't tell they were Catholic if you didn't know, which I LOVELOVELOVE): titles are Maggie Come Lately and My Beautiful Disaster
Rose says:
- The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
- Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman
- Princess Diaries
- Pride & Prejudice
My thoughts:
- Genesis by Bernard Beckett (SF novella)
- Neeta Lyfe, Zombie Exterminator by Karina Fabian
- To Kill a Mockingbird (I know a couple of these are "classics" which can be a turn-off, but they are classics because they are great stories. It might be that if she heard a good audiobook version the story would be gripping enough, with a great enough heroine, to make her forget the damning "classic" label)
I know there are lots of you out there with other great ideas. Please do chime in!