Thursday, May 13, 2010

Something I'm Reading ...

I am reading City of Dragons by Kelli Stanley for the SFFaudio readalong in June.

About halfway through.

Comments so far.

*lighting a Chesterfield, taking a drag*

Problems?

Book has 'em in spades.

Too long.

Sentence fragments abound. For emphasis.

*lighting a Chesterfield, taking a drag*

Atmosphere conveyed: movie-noir voice-over style. (Eventually the author had to resort to full length sentences to tell the story ... but only after thoroughly confusing the reader.)

Did they use "f***" back then as frequently as lighting a cigarette?

Angsty. Too damned angsty.

Chick lit? Tough noir? Make up your mind.

Did I say too damned long? Should've.

*lighting a Chesterfield, taking a drag*

More details later. After I've finished.

*lighting a Chesterfield, taking a drag*

(Yes, that's my fourth cigarette in as many minutes. For dramatic emphasis, dammit. And to show how tough I am. Without that and my pumps tapping on the sidewalk, how would we know the era?)