Monday, December 30, 2013

Top 2013 Audiobooks

My favorite audiobooks from 2013 with descriptions in 10 words or less. In the approximate order in which I heard them.
  1. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
    Classic mystery with unexpectedly hilarious characters. Read by B.J. Harrison at The Classic Tales Podcast, my review here.

  2. The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
    Listening to this much-beloved book gave it new depth (Read by Rob Inglis)

  3. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
    I've never enjoyed the last book of the trilogy ... until now. (Read by Rob Inglis. My review of Return of the King here which reflects my experience listening to the entire trilogy.)

  4. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
    Perfect noir listening for our vacation travels together. (Read by William Dufris' whose "fat man" has to be heard to be appreciated.) 

  5. The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury
    Enchanting tour of Halloween history with boys on a mission. (Read by Bronson Pinchot.)

  6. The Poison Belt by Arthur Conan Doyle
     The apocalypse in Victorian times told by a master storyteller (Read by Gildart Jackson. My review here)

2 comments:

  1. I'll say it again. I love The Maltese Falcon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I have that audio version of The Maltese Falcon and I most definitely agree with you; it's excellent. I think I have the same version of The Hobbit but I'm not sure. The reader does not ring a bell but I can't remember anyone specific.

    ReplyDelete