Thursday, December 12, 2013

Do You Use Wikipedia?

Do you use Wikipedia? Heaven only knows I do. They're fundraising right now. In fact, that was when I realized just how often I casually drop by to get basic tidbits of information. I kept having to ignore their plea for $3.00.

$3.00.

I dropped in a donation that included both Tom and me.

Here's how they put it.
Wikipedia is the #5 site on the web and serves 500 million different people every month – with billions of page views.

Commerce is fine. Advertising is not evil. But it doesn't belong here. Not in Wikipedia.

Wikipedia is something special. It is like a library or a public park. It is like a temple for the mind. It is a place we can all go to think, to learn, to share our knowledge with others.

When I founded Wikipedia, I could have made it into a for-profit company with advertising banners, but I decided to do something different. We’ve worked hard over the years to keep it lean and tight. We fulfill our mission efficiently.

If everyone reading this donated, our fundraiser would be done within an hour. But not everyone can or will donate. And that's fine. Each year just enough people decide to give.

This year, please consider making a donation of $5, $20, $50 or whatever you can to protect and sustain Wikipedia.

Thanks,

Jimmy Wales
Wikipedia Founder
If you use Wikipedia, and I bet you do, then swing by and drop them a few bucks. It's so much cheaper than that encyclopedia I used to long for!

3 comments:

  1. I have felt guilty not giving them a donation. Somehow I could never justify giving a donation to them at the expense of someone in need. But I do rely on them and I liberally link to them in my blog posts. If all they want is five or ten bucks, I can spare it. How do you give them a donation, through paypal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The link takes you to the donation page where the options are easy to see. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it, thanks. I didn't know one could donate through Amazon. SInce I already have an account with Amazon, it seemed like the easiest way.

      Delete