Monday, November 22, 2010

The Pope, Condom Comments, Etc.

I will be getting my copy of the new book which has had excerpts picked to make it sound as if Pope Benedict is approving of condom use. I would have to read this for myself in context before I could comment.

My favorite comment and the one that resonates with me is this from Jen at Riparians at the Gate:
What I see in the holy father’s newly-famous comment is this:  There’s the prodigal son, and he’s starting to look around at the pods the pigs are eating, and wonder if there isn’t a better way.

Is he back in his father’s arms yet?  No.  But his father is standing on that hill looking out already, cheering on every tiny little thing that is one baby step on the path to reconciliation.

The holy father is not speaking about some hypothetical archetype of man.  He’s got the internet in an uproar because he’s peering in at the details of a real life, of a real person living today in our world.  Salvation works itself out in ordinary life.  For a man mired in male prostitution, this might be what that first awakening looks like.
However, there are lots of pages from people who I trust with many links which you may care to peruse.

1 comment:

  1. I like the analogy of the prodigal son. I think you've probably hit the nail on the head. I gotta love our Pope. He definitely keeps us on our toes, and thinking!!

    ReplyDelete