Tuesday, June 18, 2019

A Year With the Eucharist

I'm not too far along in this book but suddenly realized that Corpus Christi Sunday is coming. Naturally I wanted to give a heads up on this wonderful resource for drawing closer to the Eucharist.


I'm only on Day 9 but have found these daily meditations to be of inestimable value. They refocus and reconnect me with Jesus through the sacrament of the Eucharist - which I realize only makes sense to Catholics. But that's who this book is for, those who believe the Eucharist is the body and blood, soul and divinity of Jesus Christ. I especially like the brief prayer that ends each reading which makes me take a deeper moment than I might in just reading each meditation.

Each reading begins with a brief summary to orient the reader to the particular aspect of the Eucharist which will be commented upon. Then an excerpt from a saint, pope, poet, scripture, or other writings on the Eucharist takes us deeper into meditation and thought. This is followed by a question or two which help readers relate fully to what was just read. A brief prayer ends the session.

Tan Books has done this book proud, as with all those in the series. I have the e-book because buying a physical copy for a friend gave me a special unbelievably cheap deal. But this is really a book you want in physical form to hold in your hands. My daughter Rose has a copy and the cover may not be actual leather but it certainly feels like it. Pages are gilt-edged and the ribbon marker is sturdy. Moreover, the book design is elegant and decorative in an understated but classic way.

No comments:

Post a Comment