Friday, April 20, 2018

Well Said: Tolkien's Concern

It may be true that the story of the Ring is less morally ambiguous than the average realistic novel, but that’s primarily because Tolkien wasn’t especially interested in the problem of knowing right from wrong. His concern was to explore the psychology of the moment when you know right from wrong but aren’t sure whether you have the courage and fortitude to do the right thing.
Alan Jacobs
via C.K. Kubasik, via Joseph Susanka
From about 5 years ago, but I love it so much that we will enjoy it together again now.

2 comments:

  1. Wait, wait, wait. My name appeared on a "Well Said" post on Happy Catholic? I can die contented, at last!

    ...not that I'm planning to, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just write (or link to) some more things ... and then I'LL be happy! We don't get to hear enough from you. :-)

      Delete