Thursday, March 8, 2018

If you can listen to a sermon podcast, why go to the church?

We know the answer to that one, right?

This came up in an email conversation with my Good Story podcast partner Scott Danielson. I thought you might enjoy it as much as I did.

Scott:
From the Catholicism-knows-what-its-doing-department, I was listening to the Phil Vischer Podcast and a guy was on there that wrote an article stating that podcasts of sermons are resulting in fewer churchgoers. They can get a sermon while drinking coffee, why actually go to the church?

Then a guy said something like, "well isn't the problem that people perceive the sermon as the main point of going to church?"

The another guy said that churches ought to "be creative" and do things other than sermons at the church.

And I thought that in the Catholic Church, the Eucharist is why we go. I love a good homily but of course it's Eucharist.

Interesting that some other Christian Churches are wondering what to do on Sundays.
Julie:
That IS interesting ... and your observation is so true.

Just this morning our pastor celebrated Mass and his homily was so deep and thoughtful and fantastic. In marked opposition to some of the other priests that are on the daily Mass schedule. One priest in particular is just disinterested, as far as I can tell ... we get the same message every time.

However, as Rose and I keep reminding ourselves - we aren't there for the homily. The point is that Jesus is there in the Eucharist. And that's why we are there.

The Church is truly our Mother ... helping us find the way. And I am so grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment