|Jacob reproaching Laban for giving him Leah in place of Rachel, Hendrick ter Brugghen|
Strengths and accomplishments:
Weaknesses and mistakes:
- Controlled two generations of marriages in the Abrahamic family (Rebekah, Rachel, Leah)
- Quick witted
Lessons from his life:
- Manipulated others for his own benefit
- Unwilling to admit wrongdoing
- Benefited financially by using Jacob, but never fully benefited spiritually by knowing and worshipping Jacob's God
- Those who set out to use people will eventually find themselves used
- God's plan cannot be blocked
- Where: Haran
- Occupation: Wealthy sheep breeder
- Relatives: Father - Bethuel. Sister - Rebekah. Brother-in-law - Isaac. Daughters - Rachel and Leah. Son-in-law - Jacob.
"If the God of my father, the God of Abraham and the Fear of Isaac, had not been with me, you would surely have sent me away empty-handed. But God has seen my hardship and the toil of my hands, and last night he rebuked you" (Genesis 31:42).
Laban's story is told in Genesis 24:1 - 31:55.
All material quoted is from the Life Application Study Bible. This series first ran in 2004 and 2005. I'm refreshing it as I go. For links to the whole study, go to the Genesis Index. For more about the resources used, go here.