Saturday, December 17, 2016

Jesse Tree - Day 17: Isaiah

Our online Jesse Tree is to help us prepare for Christ's coming by studying His roots and Salvation History. 

Jesse Trees follow the same general outline but I've found they are widely varied in some of the details. Some may have one day for Moses, others may spend 4 days on different aspects of his life. I'll be following the basic outline but, therefore, using my own discretion in a few spots.

My sources for days and symbols are Catholic CultureLoyola PressFaith Magazine, and A few beads short.  

Day 17: Isaiah

Symbols: burning coal, scroll

Tiepolo, The Prophet Isaiah, 1726
Isaiah 1:10-20; 6:1-13, 9:1-7, 40:10-11; 62:1-3

You might be surprised at how many sound bites you know from the book of Isaiah. It is used fairly often in the liturgy and especially during Christmas and Easter. Almost all the familiar parts are related to the Messiah and how he will save us from our sins. He would not only be a king but a suffering servant. Here's a bit we'll hear soon.
The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who dwelt in a land of deep darkness, on them has light shined. ... For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government will be upon his shoulder, and his name will be called "Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." 
Isaiah also has the roots of the tree of Jesse reference which lent itself to the Jesse Tree. And, my favorite part, there is the story of Isaiah receiving his vocation. He has a vision of heaven and a sudden vivid understanding of himself when faced with God himself. But his response is so instantaneous and honest that it can bring tears to my eyes. May I respond as honestly and as well.
And I said: "Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!"

Then flew one of the seraphim to me, having in his hand a burning coal which he had taken with tongs from the altar.

And he touched my mouth, and said: "Behold, this has touched your lips; your guilt is taken away, and your sin forgiven."

And I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?" Then I said, "Here am I! Send me."

12 British library, Isaiha and tree of Jesse, 12th century

No comments:

Post a Comment