Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Navigating the Tiber by Devin Rose

Navigating the Tiber
How to Help Your Friends and Family Journey Toward the Catholic Faith
by Devin Rose

Devin Rose draws from his own experience as a convert and shows you how to help your friends and family members make the "crossing" to Rome by journeying with them, offering the information, arguments, and most of all the prayerful support they'll need to reach their spiritual home.

I rarely, if ever, have Protestants coming to me for information about the Church. However, it did occur to me that I do know a fair number and if they ever do come knocking at my door then it would be really helpful to have this book for direction and insights.

Devin Rose lays down a sort of road map to help Protestants understand the theological issues that may obstruct or confuse as they journey toward Catholicism. Reading this also helped me to see just how very different beliefs can be between differing sorts of Christianity. Each chapter has personal examples which not only inform but lighten the tone as we meet Rose's different friends. I also liked that each chapter ended with a prayer and one or two reading suggestions.

I really liked the author's charitable tone, the insistence on being a friend, and the reminder that helping someone find the Catholic faith means that you too will have to grow.

I have to say that by the time I ended I was exhausted. It made me glad that most of the questions I receive have to do with the secular interpretation of Catholicism. However, this is a book I will definitely keep just in case I have a Protestant friend dipping a toe into the Tiber.

No comments:

Post a Comment