Thursday, May 19, 2016

32 Years of Wedded Bliss

Is it terrible to repeat the same sentiments this year, that I did last year? But I feel the same, only moreso. I tweaked it a little, but only a very little.

On earth there is no heaven, but there are pieces of it. — Jules Renard

It's our wedding anniversary today and although our lives have their fair share of challenge at the moment, it has done nothing to our marriage but draw us closer together.

That makes all the years of working out how to best love and serve each other worth it. I'm sure we'll look back on this time and find it has done nothing but add to our deep love and respect for each other.

Dear, even-tempered Tom is truly my soul mate. I'm so very lucky that he loves me as much as I love him. He has taught me so much over the years about music, about thinking, about humor, about originality, about kindness and consideration. Not because he actively taught me but just by being around him. That in itself tells you a lot about the sort of person Tom is.

I'd be remiss not to mention that we are also very indebted to our parish's Beyond Cana program. It's the sort of thing we wished for when we hadn't been married very long and ran up against problems in learning to live together. Which is simply to say that in these days, often without the wisdom of our elders easily available, we need good advice. Beyond Cana offers that for us. As have books like For Better, For Worse, For God and Just Married. Just as in practicing your faith, when you are in a long-term relationship you have to keep paddling or you'll get swept downstream. No one in a good, long marriage makes it without work and advice.

It's wonderful having spent 32 years with someone. You know each other's references (jokes become real one-liners), you understand each other's moods, and it is a deep, restful relationship that is not without delightful times of surprise and passion.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats! Happy Anniversary! :)

    ~Christine :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happiest of anniversaries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, and best wishes for many more happy anniversaries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! May you have many more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary - running behind, we'll be 29 in July.
    Still like this one - hope you do also. Oh, and my best "romance night" advice? Light Appetizers and Heavy Champagne :)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_sHMzkdVAM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't seen that in a really long time and I still do love it! That is PERFECT advice ... though we went for a French dinner, heavy on the champagne. :-D

      Delete