Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Lagniappe: Eccentric Houses

Houses, like people, are apt to become rather eccentric if left too much on their own; this house was the architectural equivalent of an old gentleman in a worn dressing-gown and torn slippers, who got up and went to bed at odd times of day, and who kept up a continual conversation with friends who no one else could see.
Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
As I may or may not have said, I've been rereading Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell because Corey Olsen's free class at Mythgard Institute is currently covering it.

Olsen is the one whose Tolkien Professor podcast (where you "click friend and enter") broke open The Lord of the Rings for me so I was definitely on board for this book.

I'm really enjoying rereading it, especially with the extra insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment