Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Well Said: Why I Am a Catholic

The difficulty of explaining “why I am a Catholic” is that there are ten thousand reasons all amounting to one reason: that Catholicism is true. I could fill all my space with separate sentences each beginning with the words, “It is the only thing that…”

G.K. Chesterton, Why I Am a Catholic
As you may recall, last week The Anchoress asked why we stay Catholic. My answer was, like many, short and sweet.

Even as I wrote it I was aware that it was woefully inadequate. There were so many different things that added up to the whole: the Eucharist, millennium of thinking and logic and grace to draw upon, my brothers and sisters in Christ here and around the world ... and so much more.

Turns out Chesterton articulated my brief answer beautifully (of course).

His expansion on the subject is quite good also. Click through on the link to read the entire essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment