Thursday, December 4, 2014

Well Said: Distraction and prayer

Sometimes I think I should just try to set aside some time to be distracted and then prayer will intrude.
Jeff Miller (The Curt Jester)
Jeff was being funny but there is a lot of wisdom in what he says. My spiritual director is always making me return to finding a time to simply contemplate without any reading material or other "props." This is completely frustrating.

However, when I am in the backyard, cup of coffee in hand, watching nature and allowing my thoughts to roam, God can intrude in the most surprising ways. Mind you, I always begin with a verse or idea of prayer in mind. It is just that distraction seizes hold and, in a way, that allows God more room to work than when I have my own rigid ideas of how the prayer time should go.

Not always and not often. But He is there amid the distractions, just as Jeff says.

No comments:

Post a Comment