Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Podcast Highlight: Lectio Divina with Cardinal Thomas Collins

Yesterday, I brought up the ancient practice of lectio divina which combines reading and prayer. I tend to practice some form of this throughout the year but must admit that I get very sloppy with it and then have to rein myself in to remember to include prayer with the reading.

Therefore, it was with great interest that I sampled Lectio Divina with Cardinal Thomas Collins (iTunes link here) when it was recommended by my friend Meg.

I really liked what I found. It is like a class in lectio divina for one thing as well as a chance to take a closer look at the Gospel of Mark.

Cardinal Collins focuses only on a small part of Mark during each hour-long session. He reads the section aloud and then goes back over it line by line. After each line he gives some background and thoughts. He also asks some questions which may well echo in listeners' hearts. Then there is a brief pause so it can all sink in and listeners can see what strikes them.

You can listen to an entire hour at once or use the pauses to stop the podcast and continue your own pondering and prayer. It is that format which makes these lectures particularly well suited to podcast listening while learning or practicing lectio divina.

I found myself inspired to open my Bible and begin going through Mark line by line. It may take months or even years but what better way to spend my time?

No comments:

Post a Comment