Monday, October 6, 2014

Well Said: If a man dethrones God in his heart ...

If a man dethrones God in his heart, Satan must ascend to His position.
Stephen King, 'Salem's Lot
Foreshadowing of The Stand! I've seen several things as I read which King later picked up on and developed in The Shining and The Stand. It is interesting to read this earlier work with those so firmly in mind.

Scott chose Salem's Lot to launch October's Halloween emphasis at A Good Story is Hard to Find and I've got to say I rarely have enjoyed disliking a story more. King really conveys with conviction the utter contempt that evil carries for anything good.

8 comments:

  1. I've wondered if Stephen King is religious or a non-believer. Anyone know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agnostic, I think.

    Salem's Lot, The Shining, and The Stand are all really worth reading. They sort of build up, honestly. Have you read Doctor Sleep, Julie? I heard it was surprisingly good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a little way into it and never went on. But I think Scott might have read it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks. I've only read The Shining and there little tid bits of religion in there. But I think that was an early novel. Perhaps he's drifted away from religion with time.

      Delete
    3. You haven't read The Stand? Holy cow, do not pass Go, just get yourself a copy and read it. Religion, good versus evil, the whole shebang ... it's there. Whether King is a believer or not, he was honest with his story telling and it is amazing.

      If you want to hear Scott and me discussing it, it was episode 40 of A Good Story is Hard to Find.

      Delete
    4. LOL. OK, I'll get a copy and after I read listen to your episode.

      Delete
    5. Oh I just went to order it and noticed it was 1200 pages long. I cannot read anything that long. It would be too much for me.

      Delete
    6. Bummer, you're going to miss some really good books that way. There is always audio! I also understand that there was a TV miniseries that was really good.

      Or, you can just listen to Scott and me talk about it. I really urge you not to miss it in some way because it is a compelling look at good and evil.

      Delete