Friday, June 20, 2014

On Vacation ...



We're hitting the road to go see my mother in Florida. I haven't seen her in much too long and I'm pretty excited! Also my sister lives there and I haven't seen her in just as long a time ... again, much too long!

We've got a beach-side hotel room and afterward will drive to St. Augustine for a belated 30th anniversary celebration.

Also, I'm really looking forward to the long car trip with Tom. We listen to music (Don Walser anyone?), sample audiobooks (finally, I'm going to get him to try The Martian - hey, we've got Malcolm Gladwell as a backup), I knit, and we talk. The sort of talking you do on a 2-day trip has such a different quality than normal conversations during everyday life. The changing landscape, the music and stories, and even roadside experiences all weave in together to bring out subjects you wouldn't think of otherwise.

It can be a golden time. At least it is for us.

I'm going to try to really live up to the true sense of vacation by vacating my computer as well as Dallas. So I won't be around for comments or email until we get back at the beginning of July.

In the meantime, don't forget that we could actually go on a trip together next spring ... to the Holy Land. Sign up and then we'll have 10 days of travel for some of those golden conversations.

2 comments:

  1. Julie, I used to love road trips with my son just for the conversation. Once he was a teenager, his willingness to converse with me was minimal but a long car trip broke down his resistance. The trip between NY and NC is a loooong day in the car but those hours were made better by the things I learned about my son. Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete