Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Well Said: I believe in Purgatory.

I believe in Purgatory.


I assume that the process of purification will normally involve suffering. Partly from tradition; partly because most real good that has been done me in this life has involved it. But I don't think the suffering is the purpose of the purgation. I can well believe that people neither much worse nor much better than I will suffer less than I or more. . . . The treatment given will be the one required, whether it hurts little or much.
C. S. Lewis, Letters to Malcolm: Chiefly on Prayer
I'm just finishing listening to Lewis's Reflections on the Psalms. I think Letters to Malcolm may be next. I'm lucky that our library has so many audiobooks of Lewis's nonfiction. Nothing gets the day off to a good start, I find, better than a little C.S. Lewis. He's so intensely practical and yet helps you keep your eyes on the path to Heaven.

1 comment:

  1. That is a great quote. One of these days I'll read CS Lewis.