Monday, December 2, 2013

Well Said: Catholic Readers

From my quote journal.
Catholic readers are forever being scandalized by novels that they don't have the fundamental equipment to read in the first place, and often these are worlds that are permeated with a Christian spirit. It is when an individual's faith is weak, not when it is strong, that he will be afraid of an honest fictional representation of life.
Flannery O'Connor
Needless to say, I completely agree. Not that I myself am always strong enough or fully equipped to understand the sorts of novels of which she speaks. Heck, they don't even have to be that hard for some people to quail. Look at the fuss over the Harry Potter series. But I try. Not being afraid is the key. And that's a start.

1 comment:

  1. Ever since I became Catholic I have read far more than I ever had in my life. Even stories that I never would have considered before. My thirst for knowledge and knowing has only increased to the point that even stories that seek to do little but mock my faith fail to phase me. There's just too much out there to bother with that kind of lesser material.

    ReplyDelete