Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Really Good Prayer ... Again

I first wrote this back in 2004 and have since written enough posts that Blogger won't let me get to it to repost ... so I'm just popping it in as a new post.

It has been said by a particular pal of mine, may his straight talk never fail, that when I am simply putting up a quote of the day and a piece of art, then it feels as if I am not really "here." Truth to tell, sometimes I only have time for that and that alone.

However, lately I have been involved in particular struggles. You might call them a cross. That would be right. I was promised crosses, as were we all, by our Lord. The thing with crosses is that they are never pleasant or they wouldn't be the cross. Of course. 

At any rate, the real saving grace which has led to much peace for me is this prayer, which I wrote about so long ago. Whenever the main mover behind this particular cross comes to mind, I try to always say this prayer ... for me and for this person. I also ask Jesus to show me what He finds so lovable about this individual. Because I know He sees so much deeper than I can on my own. 

It occurs to me that it has been a very long time since I've mentioned the "Lord, have mercy on me" prayer. With all that in mind, I share it again below.

=============

Here is a prayer that never fails. It is excellent for those times when someone is crunching popcorn in your ear while you are watching "The Passion", when the choir won't stop practicing even though they did not reserve the room that you need to use, or when you find yourself in the situation I did yesterday ... talking to a very angry man who treats you contemptuously as a simple fool. In other words, it is perfect for helping deal with the irritations and stress of daily life.
Lord, have mercy on me and bless them.
This simple prayer is proof that you do not have to "feel" the prayer. You simply must be willing to say it, however grudgingly. Considering the circumstances that lead up to it, I always am upset and irritated whenever I say it. Do I actually want those annoying people to be blessed? Hmph, I should say not! (At least I don't feel as if I do, although I am going to the effort of saying the prayer...) In fact, yesterday I was shaking with anger when I suddenly realized that prayer was running over and over in my head. But it is the classic case of "ask and you shall receive." Whenever I say it, I never fail to be reminded of my many imperfections, my pride, and that we are all sinners together. Often that is just what I need to calm down and let my anger go.

In fact, yesterday I was given much more than that. I actually was able to walk away without getting sucked into further argument. I let him "win." So he thinks I'm an idiot? OK, fine. Believe me, that's not my way. No matter how hard I have fought with myself, I never have been able to do that before. It was all grace, an amazing triumph over my worst instincts, an answer to prayer for which I am very grateful.

I realized that angry man actually was the answer to a prayer for humility. That's another prayer that usually is fairly grudging. I know I need it. I know its good for me. But I know it hurts. Why is it that those prayers always are answered so quickly? Maybe its because that is the path that takes us closest to where we should be ... death to self, doing everything for the glory of God.

I was left with peace in my heart, an ability to pray for the man to truly be blessed, and an appreciation of humility (again). This morning's prayer for humility was much more sincere. What a great ending to that encounter. Thanks be to God for that simple prayer and for His quick answers.

4 comments:

  1. wow - I know the feel of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this timely reminder! I have prayed this prayer often in the past, but have failed to many times recently. You are good to prod us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this post 3 or 4 years ago.. I would rename it: "The Really, Really Great Prayer." You're absolutely right when you say that the prayer never fails. I only wish I could remember to pray it every nanosecond that I'm awake, because that's how much I need the help it gives.

    Thanks, Julie for the reminder.

    Tante Leonie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess you are right about that name! It certainly never fails me! :-)

      Delete