Wednesday, August 7, 2013

This Just In: The Church by Mike Aquinlina and Cardinal Wuerl

The Church: Unlocking the Secrets to the Places Catholics Call HomeThe Church: Unlocking the Secrets to the Places Catholics Call Home by Mike Aquilina




Mike Aquilina and Cardinal Wuerl's book The Mass left me wondering why they hadn't explained things like votive candles or the statues of saints in a church.

Now I see why. They were planning this companion book to cover the physical Catholic church building (a little bird has whispered that a third is underway about the liturgical year). As the introduction begins, this book explains how to "read" a church. Even better, the "reading" leads to knowing how to "pray" a church because what we see then leads our mind and hearts higher, helping to pull back the veil between us and God.

I can't wait to read it as that is one of the puzzles I had to tease out for myself after I converted, using several different books to do so. If this one is as good as The Mass, and I see no reason why it wouldn't be, then it will be an invaluable resource for anyone with similar questions.

More as I go ...

1 comment: