Tuesday, November 6, 2012

[UPDATED] Elements of Faith Book Club - 2013 Books Selected

For several years now our Catholic women's book club, Elements of Faith, has met on the first Monday of the month to discuss a wide variety of books. Only five of us were at last night's meeting, which put everyone else at our mercy for the diverse selection of books we chose for next year.

I thought I'd share it in case anyone else is interested in reading along. Interestingly, although there are several overlaps with the A Good Story is Hard to Find podcast selections, I was responsible for very few.

If you live in Dallas and are interested in joining us, please do contact me (my email is in the sidebar). You don't have to even be Catholic as long as you are interested in respectful book talk from that point of view.

I will post these on the Goodreads group also. There is not any conversation there usually, but it would be most welcome if anyone is interested.

Next Meeting
Monday, December 3
7-9 p.m.

Reading: Happy Catholic by Julie Davis (This was NOT my idea!)

Upcoming Books
 
  • January: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
  • February: Introduction to the Devout Life* by St. Francis de Sales
  • March: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
  • April: Yours is the Church by Mike Aquilina
  • May: The Franchise Affair by Josephine Tey
  • June: The Dumb Ox by G.K. Chesterton
  • July: The Brothers Karamazov* by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (note: this is one of our big books and we encourage beginning reading several months before we will discuss it)
  • August: Tobit (Old Testament)
  • September: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • October: Confessions* by St. Augustine (note: another of our big books which we encourage spending several months reading before discussion)
  • November: Unholy Night by Seth Grahame-Smith
* Recommendations for which translation to use are welcome!

UPDATE

I realized I missed a book from our list, our piece of scripture to read together during the year ... Tobit! It introduces us to the angel Raphael and also is the only piece of scripture to feature a lovable dog. Or a dog of any sort. :-)

Only two of us were truly gung ho about Mark Twain's Joan of Arc, so we'll put that back on the list to consider for next year.

2 comments:

  1. Your line-up of books almost makes me wish I lived in Dallas. : ) Seriously, I so wish I were able to discuss books like these with real live people.

    ReplyDelete