Tuesday, August 7, 2012

10 Things I Wish a Facebook Meme Knew About the Church

10. When Jesus forbade judging, that included you.

And when Jesus forbade fornication, that included you. And me. And all of us. Jesus did not say to sinners (by whom I do not mean depraved sick subhumans deserving persecution in this world and eternal damnation in the next, but all of us, “It’s OK, because you are in love, and I will never judge you harshly or tell you you can’t do exactly what you want to do, because even though I’ve talked my ear off about what constitutes the way my Father wants you to live, I realize that’s haaaaard, so I’ll cut you a break because you’re a good person and I wouldn’t want my personal religious beliefs to bother you or anything.” Instead, he accepted their sincere repentance (which means owning up to having been judged by God and found wanting, as are we all), blessed them, and said, “Go and sin no more.”
10 Things I Wish a Facebook Meme Knew About the Church from Joanne K. McPortland is a perfect example of why I love this lady's writing so much. The logic is just part of it. Go. Read.

No comments:

Post a Comment