Friday, February 17, 2012

Well Said: Kingdom of the Impossible

More from the introduction of Night of the Confessor (read more about that book here). This is from the introduction.
In this book the "Kingdom of God" will be referred to as the "kingdom of the impossible," because it consists of much that rightly appears to human intellect, human imagination, and everyday experience as impossible and unimaginable. In many life situations Jesus wants us to act "impossibly" in terms of the logic of "this world," which is a world of cunning, selfishness, and violence. He wants us to forgive where we could take vengeance, to give where we could keep for ourselves, to love those who do not love us and are not "lovable," to take action in favor of the poor who cannot pay us back... Jesus is not content with dazzling us with "impossible feats," spectacular miracles, fascinating visions, and unprecedented theorems, as others have done and continue to do; he wants us to imitate him, to be agents of the impossible: "whoever believes in me will do the works that I do, and will do greater ones than these, because I am going to the Father."
Which, I am sorry to say, kind of hits me where I live because I am facing a couple of things where it seems fairly clear that Jesus wants me to imitate him and ... well, it's not that I won't do it. But, I'm mentally digging in my heels. I'm having to catch myself and say, "Stop resisting! Just do it! With a whole heart."

2 comments:

  1. And I guess it would be bad to start a prayer with "You know I'm behind you all the way on this Jesus, and while I agree with you in theory..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-D

    Yeah ... he'd not so much into theory as doing. Dang it!

    ReplyDelete