Friday, January 13, 2012

Well Said: Success and Love

I'm out of town still but am continuing to share Madeleine L'Engle's insights.
One time I was talking to Canon Tallis, who is my spiritual director as well as my friend, and I was deeply grieved about something, and I kept telling him how woefully I had failed someone I loved, failed totally, otherwise that person couldn't have done the wrong that was so destructive. Finally he looked at me and said calmly, "Who are you to think you're better than our Lord? After all, he was singularly unsuccessful with a good many people."

That remark, made to me many years ago, has stood me in good stead, time and again. I have to try, but I do not have to succeed. Following Christ has nothing to do with success as the world sees success. It has to do with love.
Madeleine L'Engle, Walking on Water

1 comment:

  1. I needed to read this SO much today. Thank you!!! --- Rosemary

    ReplyDelete