Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Discovery: A Roomful of Women Who Don't Know How to Make Coffee

Now that's a life skill that I wouldn't have thought would have been lost in such a short time.

Rose is on jury duty as an alternate. It's a jury composed solely of women. In Family Court. Yeah ... some not-nice stuff being heard and decided (though she didn't divulge further details ... as a good juror).

She said that she was really surprised when they were in the jury room and thought they'd get the coffee pot going.

"Twelve women and not one really knew how to make coffee. And the woman who said she likes it strong advised one-half tablespoon of coffee per cup of water." (Then they were all surprised that it was so weak.)

Now, I know that Rose can make coffee. I'd take credit for properly training her but the fact of the matter is that whoever puts the coffee pot away is the one who is responsible for setting up the coffee the next day. I think everyone in our home does it by osmosis. (Like many good life skills, right? Dusting, sweeping, and so on...)

According to Rose, excuses ranged from regular Starbucks visits to "I just have one of those pod, single-serve machines."

So I asked if she volunteered.

"Hey, I didn't want any coffee. I kept reading my book. They all seemed able to drink it anyway."

We are so different.

And I fear for our country when a roomful of women don't know how to make coffee.

3 comments:

  1. I am the only coffee drinker in my household. However, the others have learned to make coffee because they know if my caffeine level dips too much, I get a little rough around the edges. It is in everyone's best interest for there to be hot, fresh coffee in the pot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a quote years ago about a professional woman who wanted to be known as someone who could do her job well and make a dang good pot of coffee! I've tried to live up to that! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My wife has no concept on how to make coffee. Neither she nor her mother drink coffee or tea, for that matter. It just wasn't a part of her upbringing. Plus I guess I confuse her since I prefer to perculate. I guess she's seen drip machines.

    ReplyDelete