Thursday, September 1, 2011

Snapshot: Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

Male
A few nights ago we were eating dinner and Hannah suddenly said, "Look! Next to the Christmas lights!"

(We leave our tiny, colored Christmas lights lining our patio roof and windows year-round, lending a festive, Mexican-restaurant feel, especially when they go on after dark.)

Hovering and darting around the unlit lights were two Ruby-throated Hummingbirds. They were a male and female, looking like flying jewels. The male came close enough to the patio window that I got a vivid impression of his ruby throat. Soon enough, they headed off to check out the Crepe Myrtles. I don't know if they could feed on them but at least Crepe Myrtles have the virtue of being real flowering plants.

Female
Then this morning, I stopped on my morning walk to see what some squawking Blue Jays were going on about. I never figured it out, but out of that same tree there zipped a hummingbird which darted over my head to join two others in mid-air. They buzzed out of sight, I assume in the direction of Mexico which is where most of them are migrating to at this time of year.

It was a real treat both times because I never think to put a feeder out and most of them must stick to other wayfares than our yard and street.

Both images are from Wikipedia.

4 comments:

  1. Put out the feeders. They will come.

    And it's fun to watch them fight over who gets to eat first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummingbirds are amazing. I'm always thrilled when I come across one. They seem like little angels, so gentle and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my hummers...I probably had 15 - 20 each year. They would appear and disappear within the same 5 days each year. If I was on vacation when they were to arrive I would have the housesitter put out my 4 feeders so they would be happy. As the migration would approach they were really crazy and consumed a huge amount of food. There was also a "flight path" that was avoided so they wouldn't come SUPER close to your head. Put up a feeder and maybe they will become regular residents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where I live in California, our hummingbirds will harass Jays that cut in on their territory. Maybe that's what had your Blue Jays upset?

    I love hummingbirds :-)

    - tertiumkid

    ReplyDelete