Friday, September 30, 2011

Marijuana Helps People With Alzheimer's

It ain't just wishful thinking.
Strangely enough, the same compounds in marijuana that are responsible for the quintessential stoner forgetfulness, the glassy stare, the short attention span and the, uh ... quintessential stoner forgetfulness could be the same compounds that protect short term memory in sufferers of Alzheimer's. Recent studies indicate that THC can boost the effectiveness of a neurotransmitter that is essentially the brain's lubricant -- the very stuff Alzheimer's sufferers are lacking. THC stimulates the growth of new neurons in the brain of the elderly, which also helps, obviously.
So, this could turn that early "mean stage" into a big happy face, right?

Seriously, I've always been kind of worried about that mean stage that Alzheimer's sufferers go through. One side of my family has a history of Alzheimer's so I've come to terms, as much as anyone can, with the whole "losing myself" thing. But I hate to think of turning hostile and mean to those I love.

And, if I could still hear music, it would sound better than ever.

Read all about it in the 5 Ways Your Bad Habits Might Just Save Your Life  at Cracked.com (language warning ... it is Cracked, after all).

No comments:

Post a Comment