Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Early Reaction to "A People of Hope: Archbishop Timothy Dolan in Conversation with John L. Allen"

I have an advance copy of the uncorrected proof and A People of Hope is dynamite. I am not to publish a review until November which is when it is published.

What I will say is that it is a Q & A series between John L. Allen and Archbishop Timothy Dolan. Allen wanted a way to show the good side of the Catholic Church that the media rarely covers. His encounters with Dolan left him feeling that this man puts a warm human face on the Church's public figure ... and does it from a position of sincerity and honesty. In a sense this book is like the Ratzinger Report which gave people insight into Cardinal Ratzinger (now Pope Benedict) many years ago.

I was dipping into it here and there among the questions, which are grouped by topic (my favorite chapter title: Pelvic Issues). As far as I can tell, since I've been jumping around, Allen asks all the hard questions and Dolan answers with absolute transparency. I already admired Dolan and find this does nothing to diminish that admiration of him as "real." I am now beginning to read it in order and it continues to impress.

Actually, what I have found is that it reversed my usual reading pattern. Usually I turn to fiction to break up the nonfiction I'm reading. However, right now I'm reading Declare by Tim Powers for A Good Story is Hard to Find podcast. It is rather heavy and dark, though better than I remember it from when I stopped reading about a third of the way through a few years ago. (That's the great thing about being "assigned" to read a book ... it forces you to power past the discouraging parts and find that it is a great book despite your early misgivings.)  Anyway, when I can't take it any more, I pick up A People of Hope. Even though many of the topics under discussion are contentious ones, Dolan's optimism is refreshing and a picker-upper for me.

This is another book that I'm going to keep on hand for helping with our parish's RCIA classes. Dolan's way of answering is so honest and truthful that I can't help but think it will be very useful in building a good foundation for being equally honest in turn to those who ask me for clarification, especially on touchy issues.

2 comments:

  1. I posted a sort of review/discussion of Declare here: http://ladyhobbit.livejournal.com

    I really loved it, but it is very dark, and it does take a while to get to the point. I'll be looking forward to what you have to say about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Archbishop Dolan is my bishop! He's a really good natured man and I think on the whole a fine bishop. But I will say he has disappointed me twice in the last couple of months. First he had only a half hearted fight against the gay marriage law that passed here in New York. Actually I don't even think it was half hearted; it was less. When we catholics were looking for a strong voice that might have persuaded the legislature, he sort of disappeared. Second, he's had nothing to say over the 9/11 ceremony that will exclude all religious clergy and statement. Dolan hasn't said a peep against it. I have to say, he is not confrontational. My bishop of choice has now become Bishop Chaput. He's got a fighting spirit. ;)

    The Dolan book soounds like a fine read.

    ReplyDelete